Oct. 19, 1949
As a public safety measure, the Winterset Lion’s Club held a meeting of all bicycle riders in Winterset to have their wheels equipped with scotch-light safety reflectors. School authorities helped in notifying the children.
Oct. 21, 1959
A total of 275 Lions Club members and their wives from south central Iowa were in Winterset to attend the district 9-F Lions Convention. Afternoon sessions were at South Ward in Winterset, with the evening banquet at Lakeview Country Club. Lions wives were taken on a scenic tour of the covered bridges.
Oct. 29, 1969
Marion C. McKinzie of Winterset, foreman of the Iowa Highway Commission in Madison County, was to retire on November 1 after 41 years of service with the commission.
Oct. 24, 1979.
A sign carved John and Sally Dwyer of Rockport, Mass., was carved and presented to the Tri-L Club of Winterset. The Dwyers decided to do the sign after seeing the ABC-TV show “Twenty-Twenty” on which several Winterset residents were interviewed concerning John Wayne’s birthplace.
Oct. 18, 1989
The Madison County Tourism Council applied for a $120,000 state grant to help restore the covered bridges.