You are the owner of this page.
A01 A01
RAGBRAI meeting is July 16

With the arrival of RAGBRAI in Winterset fast approaching, it’s time for the local volunteer meeting. If you have signed up to be a volunteer or are interested in doing so, please join the committee to learn more about what to expect the day of the event, get your questions answered and pick up your free volunteer T-shirt. 

The meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 16, 6:30 p.m. in the Winterset High School Cafeteria. Stick around to make a yard sign to show your support and welcome our guests.

Not able to volunteer but want to make a yard sign? No problem. The committee will provide enough signs for up to 100 signs, but feel free to bring your own posters and use our supplies to decorate. So stop by and make your sign!

Would you like to volunteer but haven’t signed up? There is still time for you to do so. You may sign up to help out and tell us your interests by going to the with Winterset RAGBRAI website at The committee truly appreciates all of the help. This event is a great opportunity to show visitors our kind hospitality and showcase our wonderful town.

Supervisors discuss specific wind energy ordinance

Supervisors discussed a proposed ordinance that would specifically address wind energy projects in the county. The ordinance was proposed by Supervisor Diane Fitch and would enact stricter contingencies on wind energy companies seeking to build turbines in the county. 

Some contingencies included greater set-backs, more disclosure to the public regarding proposed wind turbine locations and project time-lines, lengthier application processes as well as less public impact with shadow, auditory issues, and environmental impacts. According to Fitch, the new ordinance would “give power back to the county” when it came to the large amount of wind turbine proposals that are coming into Madison County. She also said she felt the county “did not really have anything in place to protect it from having hundreds of them move in.”

Supervisor Aaron Price said that he felt the proposed ordinance was “too restrictive and unfair” to those that were in favor of wind turbines in the county. He also said he felt it would place the county “in the middle” of personal contracts between private land owners and corporations.

Phil Clifton, who has recused himself from voting on wind energy issues due to owning property with a wind energy easement, weighed in with his opinion, saying that the proposed ordinance was so strict it “might as well be a moratorium”. 

After discussion, Fitch rescinded her motion regarding the proposed wind energy ordinance, with the understanding that she and Price would “work together” over the next three weeks to come up with a compromise on the ordinance proposal.

“I’m not opposed to a wind ordinance, but I want something that is more fair to both sides,” Price said.

“Then let’s work it out. This is just a starting point,” Fitch agreed, adding that the way the things currently were was not fair and that big corporations could come in and “do what they want in rural America.”

“I don’t want to tell my neighbor what he can put on his land, but I want to know that he’s going to do it; there’s no open disclosure the way it is written now,” Fitch said.

Price said they needed to find a compromise that was fair to everybody, including “big business and land owners.”

Price said he wanted the public to understand that even if the county did approve a wind ordinance in the future that it would not go “retroactive” and would therefor have no impact on any projects already approved in the county such as the proposed wind energy farm in Earlham that is currently tied up in the court system.

Price also said he felt the zoning board should review the document.

“Let’s get it worked out what we can compromise on and live with before we waste their time,” Fitch said. 

During the public comment portion of the meeting, two individuals spoke up, both saying they had signed up for the wind turbines and “sincerely regretted” their decisions. 

One gentleman from Earlham spoke, saying that if he “could get out of it, he would” due to the affects he could feel from the turbine, citing the auditory “whoosh” and “hum” as being difficult to impossible to live near.

Other citizens spoke and thanked supervisors for “considering” an ordinance designed specifically with wind-turbines in mind.

Supervisors said they plan to discuss revisions and changes to the proposed ordinance and discuss it more at the next meeting, which will be Tuesday, July 30, at 10 a.m., due to the Winterset RAGBRAI stop the previous week.

School board hears from parents regarding discipline issues

Monday’s Winterset School Board meeting was once again attended by a crowd of concerned parents. 

Although many people attended the meeting, the only parent to speak was Sara Deppe. Deppe stated that she had hesitated to come and speak at the previous meeting because she is the mother of a child with behavioral issues. 

During Monday’s meeting Deppe asked the board, and those listening, to try to see all sides of the issue. She added that discipline issues are something that need to be addressed both at home and during school. 

Deppe stated that the social-emotional development of children is every bit as important as math or reading. 

Without the ability to function in society, Deppe argued, it won’t matter if these children have amazing test scores – no one will hire them. As such, Deppe argued that it is important to deal with these problems early on. 

Deppe offered a few ideas for how to better serve the kids in Winterset schools. Firstly, Deppe argued for more and better resources for teachers. Secondly, Deppe proposed morning “check-ins” for students. During these check-ins, students would have the opportunity to speak with a peer and unload anything that may be bothering them before beginning the school day. 

The school board stated that the issues brought up at this and the previous meeting will be addressed in a board workshop to be held on Monday, July 29, at 5 p.m. During this workshop, the board will discuss and try to come up with solutions regarding all the topics that were brought up at recent meetings. The school board members assured parents that changes will occur once the board determines the best course of action regarding these issues. 

The July 29 meeting is a workshop that is open to the public, however, there is not a public comment portion to that meeting.

16 veterans received Quilts of Valor on July 7

Over a dozen veterans – many of them local­ – were honored with Quilts of Valor over the weekend.

The Iowa Quilt Museum has had a Quilts of Valor Salute exhibit since April 16. 

On Sunday, July 7, 16 Quilts of Valor made especially for that display were awarded to the following veterans.

Bill Ganoe, Van Meter

Bill served in the United States Army from 1966-1968. He took Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. His Advanced Training was also at Fort Leonard Wood where his MOS was Heavy Equipment Operator. Bill was deployed to Vietnam in 1967 and assigned to a Float Bridge Company in both the 101st Airborne Division and the 1st Calvary Division. While in Vietnam, locations included Tu Hoe in the central highlands, Cam Ranh Bay and Pleiku. Upon discharge he had attained the rank of Specialist 5th Class.

Steve Kiddoo, Winterset

Steve served in the United States Army from 1966-1968. He took Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., and Advanced Training in Chicago. His MOS was in the Medical Division as a veterinary food inspector. Steve’s duty stations included Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and also in Texas. His responsibilities were to inspect the food for officers. His ending rank was Specialist 4th class.

Anthony McCutchan, Winterset 

Anthony was in the United States Navy from 1988-1991. He took Basic Training at the Great Lakes Naval Station. He served aboard the USS John F. Kennedy which was deployed to the Red Sea during Operation Desert Storm. He was assigned to the V-2 and V-0 Divisions while aboard the aircraft carrier and dealt with the data programming of computers for launching aircraft. Anthony’s ending rank was Airman 3rd Class.

Eldon Giles, Winterset 

Eldon was drafted into the United States Army in 1955 and served through 1957. Basic and Advanced Training was taken at Camp Chaffee, Ark. His MOS was Artillery. Stateside base was Fort Hood, Texas and instead of Artillery, he was assigned as a cook and drove a mess truck taking meals to the troops on maneuvers. Eldon’s ending rank was Specialist 4th Class.

Bill Lamb, Greenfield

Bill was drafted into the United States Army in 1952 and served through 1954. His Basic Training was at Camp Polk, La., and Advanced Training at Camp Belvoir, Va. Bill’s MOS was Engineer after AIT. He was then assigned to the 567th Field Artillery near Stuttgart, Germany. While there, since he knew how to type, his MOS was changed to 71 Hotel which is a Clerk Typist and assigned to Battalion Headquarters. Upon discharge, Bill had attained the rank of E-5, Sergeant.

Bill Dillinger, Peru

Bill served in the United States Navy from 1966-1970. He took Basic Training in San Diego and trained as a nuclear submarine repairman. Bill was assigned to the USS Proteus and was stationed on the island of Guam for 18 months. His final duty location was at Coronado Naval Air Station. His responsibility while stationed there was towing target practice drones for planes from the Coronado Air Base. His ending rank was Seaman 3rd Class.

Steven Niccoli, Winterset

Steve is originally from New York. He joined the United States Air Force in 1979 and served until 1983. Basic Training was taken at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. Advanced Training took place at Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls, Texas. Steve was assigned to Travis Air Force Base in California as an exterior electrician. His responsibilities dealt with air field lighting, traffic signals and high voltage electrical lines. Steve was also part of a national disaster mobile team to repair power to posts or bases as well as surrounding towns. Additional responsibilities included loading C-5 planes with necessary equipment during times of disaster. His ending rank was E-3 Airman 1st Class.

Robert Welsh, Jewell

Robert was drafted into the Army in 1968 and served until 1970. Basic and Advanced Training took place at Fort Lewis, Washington. He was deployed to Vietnam and was there for 18 months. He was stationed at fire bases near Chu Chi and Chu Lai. His MOS was infantry and he was a Radio Operator on missions. Robert’s ending rank was Specialist 4th Class.

Ben Messer, Norwalk

Ben enlisted in the United States Marine Corps via the Delayed Entry Program while a sophomore in college. Basic Training was in 1999 at the Marine Corp Recruit Depot in San Diego. Next was Camp Pendleton for Marine Combat Training. Ben’s MOS was Military Police with additional training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. While at Fort Leonard Wood, he was chosen to be on the Presidential Helicopter Squadron. More training was at Quantico in 2000 where he was assigned to a small unit of Marines entrusted with the security of the President’s helicopter, Marine One. Ben served President Bill Clinton and President George W. Bush. His ending rank in 2003 was Corporal, E-4.

Steve Nelsen, Winterset

Steve served 29½ years in the United States Army and Army Reserves. He took Basic Training at Fort Knox, Kentucky and Advanced Training at Fort Wadsworth, NY, which is located on Staten Island. His MOS was Chaplin’s Assistant which he held from 1974 to 1987. At that time he became a Chaplin. Duty stations included Korea, the Presidio in San Francisco and Germany with the 1st Armored Division. Steve ended his military career with a medical reserve unit in Lexington, Ky. His ending rank was Major. 

Kedric Wunder, Lake Park

United States Marine veteran Kedric Wunder served from 1951 to 1954. He took Basic Training at San Diego, Calif., and Advanced Training at the Field Music School in San Diego. While stationed there he marched with the Marine Corp Band in the Rose Bowl Parade in 1952. Kedric then went to Camp Pendleton where he received infantry training. He was deployed to Korea and served as a radio and switchboard operator. Upon his return to the United States, Kedric was sent to Crane, Indiana, which was a Naval Ammo Base Depot. His assignment there included mail and file clerk as well as being a bugler for military funerals. When discharged in 1954, Kedric had attained the rank of Corporal.

Rich Larson, Winterset

In 1989, Rich enlisted in the United States Navy and took boot camp in San Diego, Calif. This was followed by aviation electronics school in Millington, Tenn. He was transferred to the Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash., as an Avionics Technician and assigned to Electronic Attack Squadron VAQ-129 as an Electronic Counter Measures Specialist working on the EA-6B Prowler. Rich conducted training deployments on several aircraft carriers including the Ranger, Independence, Nimitz and Abraham Lincoln which helped prepare staff for deployment to the Gulf War. When he ended his service in 1992 he had achieved the rank of Petty Officer 3rd Class.

Marty Miller, Winterset

Marty is an Air Force veteran who served from 1983 to 2005. He went to Basic Training at Lackland AFB in Texas. From there he was sent to Chanute AFB in Illinois for Turboprop Engine Mechanic School. Marty was assigned to Little Rock AFB in Arkansas, Kelly AFB in San Antonio, Asan AFB in South Korea and Dyess AFB in Texas. He supported Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. Upon discharge, Marty had attained the rank of Master Sergeant, E-7.

Ronald Routh, Norwalk

Ron served in the United States Army from 1965-1967, taking Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. Advanced Training was at Fort Sill, Okla., with a MOS of Artillery. He was deployed to Vietnam in 1966. Ron had been a professional musician since age 14, and his MOS was changed to Musician. He was assigned to the 1st Infantry Division’s Band in Di An, Vietnam. Ron performed for troops during USO shows at base camps. Other responsibilities included driving the jeep for the band director. Interesting side note, in 1966 he drove Joey Heatherton to her USO performance at Di An. Ron’s ending rank was Specialist 4th Class.

Larry Salmon, Dakota Dunes, SD

Larry entered into the United States Navy from Boyden, Iowa, and served from 1966-1975. Basic and Advanced Training were in San Diego. His MOS was Hospital Corpsman (Medic). Larry served two tours overseas, one on the USS Bennington and the second on the USS Okinawa. His assignment was with Medevac Helicopters transporting wounded from battle sites. His duty locations were near the DMZ and northwest of Saigon. In 1975, Larry returned to Vietnam and helped evacuate personnel from the United States Embassy in Saigon via helicopter landings on the embassy roof. The personnel were then transported to the USS Okinawa. His ending rank was E-6, Hospital Corpsman 1st Class.

Dylan Martin, Winterset

Dylan served in the United States Army from 2009-2017. Basic Training was at Fort Jackson, SC, and Advanced Training was at Fort Benning, Ga. He was deployed to Afghanistan in 2012 after receiving training at Fort Drum, New York for light infantry. While in Afghanistan, the unit he was assigned to was responsible for clearing IEDs on the routes troops would be taking. Upon discharge from the military in 2017, his ending rank was Specialist 4th Class. In addition, a quilt was given to Dylan for his service dog, Boots.